The Move. Part 2.

After the kids and I arrived in town in the middle of the night, we sort of slept in until maybe 7:30am. My kids never sleep late. It’s awesome.

So once we woke up and grabbed lunch (because I had already forgotten we are now in Eastern time zone and we arrived thinking we would be there just in time for breakfast), then we headed to the new elementary school to get them registered. Our friend came home from work and went with the kids and I to their first practice on the new swim team. And we got their team suits. And the boy nearly died because they don’t wear jammers (long speedo trunks), they wear the shortie shorts that are just a step below full on speedos.

The hubs arrives from Tennessee around 8pm-ish. Then jacknifes the truck and trailer because he pulled in but yet felt it needed to be straightened up so he backed up. Luckily it was easily fixed later another day.

We spent the next few days just hanging out and trying to relax knowing, but in no way imaginging what would be the reality, that relaxation wouldn’t happen for awhile come Tuesday.

Tuesday arrives, my mom shows up to watch the kids and we head off to meet the realtor at the walk through. We had been told that their movers were late the day before and would be at the house at 6:30am to finish. Okay fine. We arrive to a garage full of boxes and our realtor is nowhere to be seen. Their realtor comes out to tell us that the seller has been crying because she is breaking her word about being out when she said she would be. We close in an hour. Less than an hour at this point. We walk through the house and it’s gross. It also appears that in the 30+ days that we saw the house they allowed their 3 small dogs to pee all over the upstairs carpet whenever they felt like it. And didn’t clean it up. I pointed it out to the realtor and she said “Oh you can really tell what exactly that stain is?” Have you not ever seen something pee on carpet? It’s even f-ing yellow. Every room we walk though is half packed and full of boxes. Our realtor says that the house only has to be “swept clean”. It had not been swept. The basement was completely full of stuff. I began to get incredibly anxious.

I advise both realtors that we have movers coming (that we paid for already) at 1pm. It’s 9:45am. There is no moving truck or movers there for their stuff. They don’t seem concerned enough to go and rent a Uhaul. Neither realtor seems concerned and says let’s go to the closing. I call and am able to push our movers back an hour. She says she can send movers to their house right now if they have a truck to use and to let her know. I tell both realtors this. They reply, “Well that’s good to know”. The sellers show up to the closing and the wife says they didn’t leave the house unlocked for the movers to come in. Then the movers call and it’s 10:45am at this point. We are told they will be done and out by 1pm.

Oh! We had also planned to buy the pool table (well I was getting it along with a generous gift from my in-laws as a surprise to the hubs). When we saw it, it was dirty and they had set boxes on it. We advised both realtors we were no longer interested. We were told tough luck. They hadn’t planned to move it so it was ours. Bye $500.

We go get the kids and my mom and go to lunch. I texted our realtor, since they were supposed to let us know when they were gone, and she says “I’ll check”.Then we take them back and head to get my car and trailer. I arrive and there are no movers. At all. No truck. Their stuff is everywhere. It’s 1:45pm. I start texting our realtor again. She shows up 15 minutes later and asks if I want her to go buy me ice cream. I wanted to punch her in the throat. I go and ask if they can move their stuff into the driveway so that we can start moving our things in when the movers arrive in a few minutes. The wife says it’s supposed to rain and they don’t want their things to get wet. The husband says he’s absolutely not doing that because he’s not doing double work. Our realtor stands there silent, after she had just told me that we need to make the priority what we need because we had closed and us moving our things is was the priority.

Our movers arrived and started moving our things around their things. Later we’ve been moving boxes where they actually go since our movers couldn’t put things where they went because of the sellers. At 7:30pm they finally left. The house was disgusting. Something had spilled in the fridge and it had not been cleaned up. The freezer was worse. There was dust and dirt all over the floors and baseboards, windows, everything was nasty. Dead bugs eveywhere. They had not swept or vaccuumed. In fact, because their movers packed everything, the best I could tell the sellers stood together chatting and did nothing else but complain about their movers and refuse to do anything we asked of them.

Then late that night, maybe after 9pm, our friend and my hubs are outside and the seller is walking one of his two large dogs. He precedes to tell them that the other large dog (seriously the sweetest Golden Retrievers) had died of a heat stroke that day after being left in our backyard all day. It was over 90 degrees that day.

Since moving in we discovered that 2 toilet seats were broken, the jetted tub doesn’t work, the window a/c in the basement doesn’t turn off. You have to pull the plug out of the wall to turn it off and then it sparks. Right next to the propane heater that’s connected to a giant propane tank on the other side of the wall. There are several other things that are either broken or messed up but that’s just a taste.

One of my favorite parts was that the wife showed up a week later knocking on my door after 8:30pm at night asking if the movers left their smoker. They moved to another state. But she came back for her 3 small dogs and a hair appointment. I told her I thought it was on the back deck and she wanted to come back in the morning with help moving it. I told her just to go on the back deck and grab it but make sure she shuts the gate. Then she came back 30 minutes later ringing my door bell because I didn’t hear her knocking in the basement while I was looking for paint. Ringing my door bell after 9pm with my kids in bed. I should have told her that couldn’t have it but I was so shocked to see her that I wasn’t thinking. And then when she rang the door bell I was trying to control myself.

So that’s the first part and since then we’ve discovered so much more. But we are slowly getting things liveable.


One thought on “The Move. Part 2.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s